An Energy Free Day
This activity is designed to get students to think about not using non-renewable resources for one day.
Imagine that your whole family (or community if you prefer) chooses to do without any form of energy produced from non-renewable resources for one day.
(No-one must use electricity, gas, petrol or batteries.)
Planning Your Energy Free Day
1. Think of all the things YOU do on a normal weekday such as:
- wake up
- have a shower
- eat breakfast
- travel to school
- activities at school
- jobs at home
- food preparation
- leisure activities (especially in the evening)
- communicating with people
2. How will your actions have to change if you cannot use electricity and other forms of energy?
- Plan what you will do.
- How will the energy-free day affect the rest of your family?
- Share your ideas with your family and other students in your class.
3. Write an Energy-free Action Day Plan for your family (or community).
- How do you FEEL about the changes that would be necessary? Would it require major changes in your lifestyle?
- Put a star next to any changes that your family would find really difficult.
- Put a flower next to the actions that your family would feel quite happy about giving up or changing.
4. Talk to people of the older generation in your family or community.
- How do they feel about the changes that have happened in energy use since they were children?
- Which energy uses do they feel have been of most benefit to our society?
5. Write a short report on your findings.